Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Oh Peony you look so sweet and innocent!

The Colette Peony, what can I say, it looks so sweet, it sounds so innocent....then on further examination of those dreaded bust darts, it hits you, this dress has an evil streak.  Evil bust darts that mock you in their complexity, and you know that if you lived in 1950 those darts would have been standard on everything and you would have instinctively known where they should go on ye old bust...but being that it is 2014 you have no idea where they should sit.  You make not two, but five muslins of the top before you realize you should go down a size (I know sometimes the old brain just gets there slower than it used to).  Then when you're proud you've fixed the front, you turn around and realize that this dress has not one evil streak, but two.  All this to say that if you make a dress that is tailored and fitted, naturally it's going to take some time to get that fit right.  I think I came about as close as I can to getting it right (thank you to my husband for doing his best at pinning the back alterations).  My critical eye still sees small tweaks that need to be done but at this point I'm calling it good.
I'm a little unsure of my fabric choice.  My wearable muslin was in linen and I think I may like the feel of that dress more than this one made of cotton lawn.  The lawn, as opposed to the linen, makes the bust darts crisper sooooo, "pointier" than the linen which behaves more like a lady.  The lawn is from Hancock fabrics and is really nice to the touch.  It puts me in the mind of a Liberty of London print and has that rich shade of royal blue that I love.  But I think the pattern may be way too busy...opinions out there?    
I am glad I took this dress on, I'm really fond of it and it taught me a lot about bust darts and back alterations.  If you do decide to make this dress I think there are some really helpful tutorials out there that are worth reading.  This one talks about positioning the bust darts in relationship to one another in the correct way.  While this one speaks to the shape of the darts and how to streamline them for a better fit.  Some of the other alterations I made were to the back width, neckline darts and to the back length (next time will pinch out even more in this area).  All those alterations also led to tweaking the skirt a bit to be in line with the altered back and front.  If you decide to make this dress just know that a fitted dress is bound to require more, well, fitting and might result in some frustrations because it's not likely to be a quick make until you get those fittings right.  The overall construction of the dress is easy its just the fitting that is time consuming.

  If you read all of this post, thanks, because I'm feelin' kinda wordy.  I'm blabbing on because I figure if you're like me, I like to hear other sewist's opinions so that I'm better aware of what I'm getting into when I start a project.  So when making the sweet little Peony you can know that she is indeed sweet, but she's got a little devil in her too!

6 comments:

  1. I like the dress and it looks good on you. The cummberbund/sash(?) is cute. Good job. love mama
    ps. hair is real cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovley! You really did a great job altering all those details, but you might have scared me off a bit, from making it. We'll see...
    Love the fabric, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was some what tricky to alter but if you've had any experience sewing darts and manipulating them to fit you should be fine. The blog posts I referenced really helped me and the final result is really fun to wear. Hope yours turns out well and thanks for stopping by our blog!

      Delete
  3. Love this! Fit looks awesome, and I love the floral, very Liberty! The blue sash breaks the pattern while popping the color in the print! I'm starting my Peony this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your have fun making your peony, its a cute dress. I made mine two years ago and its still in the rotation of dresses I wear. Good luck with it!

      Delete