Thursday, March 20, 2014

8 Free Tank Patterns


Tomorrow is the official start of spring and I've been gearing up for some spring sewing even if the weather isn't cooperating.  We thought it would be helpful to post a list of some free sewing patterns out there to inspire our sewing for spring, and hopefully yours too!

Free Tank Patterns:
So Sew Easy's Gathered Front Top.  It features princess seams and pleats down the front of a knit tank.
Grosgrain featuring the Colette Sorbetto Tank A woven top with a center pleat detail.
Sew in Love's Crop Tank A simple crop tank.
Sew in Love's Hi-Low Tank Features a longer hemline, good for leggings.
By Hand London's Polly Top Tank A woven top with a front panel for shaping instead of bust darts.

Free Cami Patterns: 
The Sewing Space's Sammy Cami A knit camisole.
So Zo's Cami  A knit camisole.
Melly Sew's Summer Bias dress (although a dress, could easily be cut off to be a great camisole) Woven camisole.


For reference I've tried the following patterns for purchase with varying degrees of success:
Burda 7509- I really liked this tank but its cut on the bias, which uses more fabric than a straight grain design.
McCall's 6696- This is a dress pattern but I cut the slip pattern off to make a great camisole.
Simplicity 2599- A popular top in blogland.  I like it but found it a bit shapeless around the waist area.
Butterick 5922- I used this top to make a knit tank and a lace shell top with sleeves.  The neckline is pretty high so I cut it lower but it was a great pattern for knits.  The stretch lace was a little more difficult with this pattern.

It seems every summer I am always looking for the perfect tank pattern.  I am still on the search!  Maybe one of these days I will put my mind to drafting my own!  But for now off to print all those patterns and start compiling them for summer sewing!!

Thanks to the website Free Pretty Things for You for the adorable clipart!

2 comments: