Thursday, February 13, 2014

The "Maria" Moss Skirt

Can you tell what kind of kick we've been on lately?  Moss Skirts!  Believe it or not, this was the first skirt that I have ever made for myself.  I've made lots of tops, and a number of dresses, but never a skirt.  I don't know why, because I love wearing skirts-- so it was good to have an excuse to finally sew one! 

I think that in general, skirts have a reputation for being a quick, easy, sew, a good project for beginners.  And that was NOT the case with the Moss Skirt.  It wasn't a really difficult pattern, but it wasn't easy, either...is that helpful?  But before I get into the details, let me show you the results! 




Let's talk about the fabric first.  This type of fabric is typically not my style-- large, gold and green floral that almost looks dated.  I don't know where it came from, but it was actually hemmed in sort of a valance-style when I pulled it off my shelf.  It's a Waverly screen print from 19_ _?  And strangely, I was drawn to it....it suddenly seemed like the perfect fabric for my skirt.  And then I realized why.

Last week, when we were snowed in for several days, my daughter decided that the Sound of Music was her new favorite movie.  So we watched it over, and over, and over.... and those curtains-turned-clothing were burned into my brain.  Gold.  Green.  Garish.  Floral.






 So there you have it. My "Maria" skirt.  Now on to the details:

Pattern:  The Grainline Stuidos Moss Skirt

Fabric:  Waverly Screen Print home decor weight hand-me down

Size: 12 (I normally wear a 10).  With some stretch fabric I definitely would be able to wear this in a size 10, with a normal woven, I'm not sure.  Also, I didn't add the hem band, and you can see that it's definitely as short as I would want it.  I'm 5'8", so taller women may definitely want to add that band.

Sewing: I earned my Fly Zipper Merit Badge on this project.  Installing it actually wasn't that difficult, but deciphering the instructions proved to be the challenge.  I found the Grainline tutorial to be more helpful than the pattern instructions, and I'm sure that there are other great tutorials out there as well.  I think that the next time I do a fly I'll be able to breeze through it now that I understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

It is also helpful to pay close attention while you're sewing this pattern (I suppose it is always helpful, but particularly so here).  Several of the pattern pieces are similar in shape, and some of the pieces are asymmetrical, but have angles that look close to identical.  

I know others have had trouble with the waistband being too short for the skirt.  Initially I didn't think I was going to have a problem, but I did end up having to shorten my seam allowances to make it fit.  Next time I think I'll add an additional 1.5 inches on to the length, and that should allow it to comfortably fit around the top of the skirt.


Overall, I like the pattern, and I think I'll be making a few more.  Maybe some longer ones for the summer, since I don't think I can get away with the short version without leggings.  Has anyone else out there made the Moss Skirt?  Post your links in the comments, I'd love to see them!






4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! That fabric actually came from ME ha ha ha!!! hysterical! It looks good as a Moss skirt! I bet you're going to love wearing it! The pattern yields very flattering results doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I have a lot more fabric in my stash that came from you, it's going to start popping up here and there on the blog... So, was it a curtain? And it is flattering, can't wait to wear it!

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh when I saw the still from the Sound of Music. Your skirt is awesome, though, and it looks great with those black tights. I have had the pattern pinned forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I finally wore it out the other day, it's a good way to be casual but still feel like you have some style. And I would definitely recommend the pattern, hope you get a chance to make it sometime!

      Delete